Private London college taught students by showing videos, investigation reveals

Estimated read time 3 min read

Students at a private higher education college charging £9,250 a year were taught by staff reading out bullet points and showing videos, according to an investigation that found one tutor held an online class while appearing to be on public transport.

The students attending Regent College London told investigators from England’s higher education regulator that teaching staff changed frequently, including one cover tutor who “arrived almost half an hour late” to host an online class and “was clearly travelling or in a public place”.

The Office for Students (OfS) reported that, when challenged by the students, “the cover tutor seemed to leave the teaching session and the students haven’t heard anything from them since”.

In a second-year module in 2023, “the tutor limited themself to reading bullet points from PowerPoint slides and playing videos for the class to watch, without seeming to provide any explanation of the ideas and concepts addressed. The videos played occupied most of the observed teaching time.

“In one class that ran for 45 minutes, videos were played for approximately 35 minutes, with the tutor reading from the slides for most of the remaining time.”

The OfS investigation into business management courses found a catalogue of complaints from students including broken chairs, lacklustre support and inadequate teaching materials.

It concluded that the college’s courses were “often not up to date, not consistently effectively delivered, often lacked educational challenge and coherence, and often did not teach relevant skills”.

Regent College London is a private college and the trading name of RTC Education Limited, whose advisory panel is chaired by Gavin Williamson, the Conservative MP and former education secretary. The panel also lists James Wharton, the Conservative peer who was the OfS chair until July, as a special adviser.

Regent College London or RTC Education did not respond to a request for comment from the Guardian. Selva Pankaj, RTC Education’s director, told Times Higher Education that the college was confident many of the concerns had been addressed.

“We were already making improvements when OfS visited, and implemented an additional action and monitoring plan in response to the draft report we received from OfS,” Pankaj said.

“Since the OfS’s visits, we have improved our student-staff ratios to better meet the needs of both our students and our partners. We are pleased that this year’s national student survey found that 93% of our students were satisfied with the quality of teaching.”

Jean Arnold, the OfS deputy director of quality, said the report raised “significant concerns” across several areas.

“Before taking any regulatory decisions, the OfS will look closely at the assessment team’s findings and consider the next steps in the investigation, which may include considering whether any regulatory action is appropriate,” Arnold said.

The investigators said some staff were paid a bonus if more than 85% of their students passed, and that up to five weeks of a 15-week module were devoted to revision or test preparations. Investigators found several courses with 100% pass rates, and reported one tutor telling students that they “try to make everybody pass”.

In one BSc business module taught in 2022, the OfS found that revision, duplicated lessons and repeated material meant less than a third of the course was spent studying new content.

It also reported classes starting late and finishing early, with one tutor spending 30 minutes recording attendance for 13 students. One student who asked staff how to report a future absence was told to search online.

Source: theguardian.com

You May Also Like

More From Author