
Labour have suspended Dan Norris, the MP for North East Somerset and Hanham, after he was arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
Norris, a former Labour minister who defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg as MP at last year’s general election, was taken into custody after police raided his constituency home on Friday.
Police said he had also been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Norris had previously served as an MP for Wansdyke from 1997 to 2010. He became mayor of the west of England in 2021.
His constituency website said he trained with the NSPCC and worked as a teacher and child protection officer.
Avon and Somerset Police said: “A man aged in his sixties was arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
“He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue. This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.
“In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.”
A Labour party spokesperson last night said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
He has also had the Labour party whip in the House of Commons removed.
Norris, 65, is also embroiled in controversy over his role as chair of the anti-hunting charity the League against Cruel Sports after being accused of victimisation of a former employee.
He stepped down from his role at the charity in May last year.
Source: theguardian.com