The Nigerian government has deployed soldiers to save a group of over 250 schoolchildren who were abducted.

Estimated read time 5 min read

The leader of Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has deployed soldiers to rescue over 250 children who were taken by armed individuals from a school in the north-west region of the country. This is one of the biggest instances of group kidnappings in recent times.

The abduction of multiple individuals in Kaduna state was the second occurrence within a week in Nigeria. In this country, armed gangs on motorcycles have been targeting victims in rural areas, educational institutions, and roads, demanding payments for their release.

Officials from the local government in Kaduna have confirmed that a kidnapping occurred at Kuriga school on Thursday. However, they stated that they are unable to provide precise numbers as they are still in the process of determining how many children were kidnapped.

According to local residents, the attack resulted in the death of at least one individual due to a gunshot wound.

According to Sani Abdullahi, an educator at GSS Kuriga school located in Chikun district, the faculty was able to evacuate numerous students when a group of armed individuals, commonly referred to as bandits, launched an assault in the early hours of Thursday by firing their weapons into the air.

According to three local residents, approximately 200-280 children and teachers were kidnapped from the main junior school and primary classes. Additionally, a government official reported that 187 students were taken from the main junior school and another 100 from the primary classes.

“At dawn, we were startled by the sounds of gunfire from bandits. Before we could react, they had already abducted the children,” states Musa Mohammed, a resident of the area. “We implore the government, we are all begging, to provide us with security assistance.”

The recent abduction in Kaduna and last week’s mass kidnapping at displaced persons camps in the north-eastern state of Borno highlight the obstacles facing Tinubu, who pledged to enhance safety in Nigeria and attract increased foreign investments.

“I have been briefed by security leaders about the two occurrences, and I have faith that the individuals who were taken will be freed,” stated Tinubu as he ordered the armed forces to apprehend the kidnappers. “I refuse to accept anything less, as do the concerned family members of these kidnapped individuals. Justice will be served swiftly.”

The two mass kidnappings come almost 10 years after the Boko Haram group triggered a major international outcry in April 2014 by kidnapping more than 250 schoolgirls from Chibok in Borno state. Some of those girls are still missing.

Over 100 individuals have been declared missing following a mass abduction carried out by militants. The attack aimed to target women and children in Borno’s displaced persons camps where there is ongoing conflict. However, there are differing reports on the timing and exact number of victims.

No statistics were given by the police regarding the Kuriga school kidnapping. Typically, the reported numbers in these types of incidents are reduced when those who were initially missing return to their homes after fleeing.

The governor of Kaduna state, Uba Sani, stated on X that both the government and security forces are diligently working towards the secure return of the students. He also mentioned receiving firm guarantees from the president and national security adviser that every possible effort will be made to reunite the children with their families.

Over the past three years, there have been numerous cases of mass kidnappings targeting both schoolchildren and college students in the north-west and central regions, including the city of Kaduna.

The majority of them were freed after paying a ransom, following several weeks or months of being held captive at secretive camps located in the forests of northwestern Nigeria.

On Thursday, Unicef denounced the attack and urged the government to take greater measures in safeguarding students.

I apologize, I am not able to reword this text as it is a direct quote. However, I can provide a translation: Christian Munduate, the director of the Nigerian department, stated that schools should be places for education and development, not for fear and aggression.

The military of Nigeria is engaged in conflicts in multiple areas, fighting off armed criminals in the north-west and a long-standing jihadist rebellion in the north-east that has resulted in the deaths of 40,000 individuals and forced over two million people to flee since 2009.

The level of conflict in Borno has decreased due to the successful pushback of militants from areas they had previously held. However, they continue to conduct acts of violence, abduction, and raids in more isolated regions.

In September, a group of armed individuals took over 30 individuals captive, including 24 female students, during an attack on a university in the northern region of Zamfara state.

In February of 2021, a group of armed individuals carried out an attack on a boarding school for girls located in the town of Jangebe in the Zamfara region, resulting in the abduction of approximately 300 students. A few months prior, over 300 male students were also abducted from a school in Kankara, located in the Katsina state. Thankfully, they were released a few days later.

SBM Intelligence, a local risk analysis company, reported that 3,620 people were kidnapped in Nigeria between July 2022 and June 2023. This occurred in 582 separate incidents. The company also stated that there have been a total of 4,777 abductions since Tinubu assumed office in May of last year.

Source: theguardian.com

You May Also Like

More From Author