UK colleges to reassess enrollment of international students following controversy surrounding recruitment.

Estimated read time 3 min read

The vice-chancellors of British universities will be examining the admissions process for international students, specifically looking into ways to recognize and prevent unethical behavior from agents hired to recruit individuals from other countries. This comes in light of recent controversy surrounding recruitment practices.

Universities UK, an organization that represents leaders in higher education, has declared its intention to conduct multiple evaluations regarding the utilization of recruitment agents and international foundation programs. They also plan to review the code of conduct that oversees admissions.

Universities UK stated that there has been a significant emphasis on the recruitment methods for international students in recent weeks. Despite some inaccuracies in the reporting of the admissions process and requirements, it is crucial for students, their families, and the government to trust that the system is just, clear, and strong.

Recently, universities have faced allegations of lowering admission requirements for international students. These students pay significantly higher tuition fees compared to UK students, effectively subsidizing their education and research endeavors.

The University of York has advised employees to consider being more accommodating in accepting international students who have lower grades than anticipated. However, a report by the Sunday Times uncovered instances of agents representing universities like Durham and Exeter stating that international students with subpar grades could easily secure admission through international foundation courses.

The claims were deemed incorrect by Durham University. A representative stated that the entry requirements for international students who have completed international foundation years are compared to those for domestic students entering with A-levels to ensure they are on par.

Universities UK announced that they will conduct a swift evaluation of international foundation courses and assess the entry requirements in comparison to those for UK students. The vice-chancellors stated their willingness to collaborate with the government in reviewing the utilization of agents, and implementing improvements to increase resilience and address any unethical practices.

Universities will also update their admissions code of practice “to clearly state its applicability to international students”. The code currently promises “fairness and transparency” and states that universities will “use the evidence they have available to make informed decisions on applicants’ potential to succeed on a course”.

David Willetts, the ex-minister of universities who led the implementation of tuition fee loans in England, has attributed the rise in dependence on income from international students to the government’s decision to maintain frozen fees since 2016.

skip past newsletter promotion

Universities rely on international students to offset the costs for domestic ones. The most effective solution would be to adequately fund domestic higher education, possibly by tying fees to inflation or a similar calculation.

According to a representative from the Russell Group, a coalition of top research universities, international students are not filling spots that could otherwise go to UK students. The most recent data from Ucas reveals that the number of domestic students at Russell Group universities is increasing at a faster rate than the number of international students.

Source: theguardian.com

You May Also Like

More From Author